Thursday, December 13, 2007

Street Car!


Today I was getting out of my car at the New Orleans library nearest me on St. Charles I heard this clanging sound behind me. I turned to see the street car running! The St. Charles Street Car line is the longest running railway in the United States and for over two years it's sat dormant. The hurricane badly damaged the power lines and much work has been done to get the car up and running again. For the first two years I lived here, the street car line was used only for joggers....a convenient way to avoid the hazardous sidewalks, (I've tripped numerous times on the uneven pavement) but just over a month ago the St. Charles line opened all the way to Napoleon Ave. I had just read in the paper that it was suppose to open all down St. Charles by Dec. 23rd, so I was happily surprised to see it roar past me today.

Yes, I know that the opening of the street car is going to take away our nice turn lanes.....but there's something about seeing it lumber it's way down St. Charles that makes me incredibly happy. In a city where things are constantly being demolished, it's nice to see something so historical be restored.

1 comment:

Truman and Amber said...

wish it could've been up and running while I was still there :(