Sunday, March 9, 2008

In anticipation for eating some good cajun food and chocolate cake tonight, I decided to go on an afternoon jog today. I took my usual route around the park and then up on the levee. Sunday afternoons on the levee are an event - especially when the weather is nice. I knew it was going to be packed when I was running up the hill with the same car beside me the entire times since the traffic was moving so slowly. (On a side note, the car had its windows rolled down and they were smoking pot.... second hand pot and jogging does not make for the best combination.)

The park up on the levee was indeed packed. At first I was annoyed with everyone sitting out on the sidewalk, parking their cars too closely or crowding in but since I've been reading a book about living a contemplative life, I decided to ask the Lord to open my eyes to the life around me. Wow, what beauty I miss when I'm so focused on my own comfort and convenience. Suddenly I saw everything that I love about this city. There were the college students out on blankets studying, the old men sitting and looking at the river, the kids playing football in the grass. People with sacks of crawfish sat all along the river - sharing a meal and sharing a few stories. Some one had brought a card table and a poker game was going on in the middle of the grass. 5 or 6 horses were being unloaded from a trailer and people prepared to go for a ride. Joggers and bikers were all around. People rolled their windows down and blasted music of their choice - everything from jazz to hip-hop to country. Everywhere you looked there was life and community and people who just love to slow down and spend their Sunday afternoon together. Suddenly it went from being a crowded park to a picture of everything I love about this city. I love that we take life easy - that everything isn't about being productive but slowing down and enjoying people is a value. I love that people always find a reason to celebrate the season (it's crawfish season). I love that people can be unique - I did see a guy in a band uniform with his face painted silver riding his bike through the park.

There was no "group" that claimed the park or the day. It was full of young and old, people from wealth and people who obviously had very little. Intellectual college students and little children. I usually avoid the park on beautiful Sunday afternoons because I find the crowd annoying - but as I paused and asked God to show me the park through His eyes, a whole new picture came into view. We were created for life and for celebration - to enjoy beauty, great food, music and relationships. That levee was full of all of that this afternoon. I think I miss that because I'm so focused on life being about "getting it done" and "accomplishing the mission"....not bad things but I can miss the beauty in my drivenness.

Among so many other lessons, New Orleans has given me a chance to learn to live life. I will forever thankful for the lessons of this city

No comments: